Have you ever finished off a glass of wine or spilled some beer and a dog comes in to lick it?
You might think dogs like alcohol by this act, but it is by no means an invitation to give the dog a gulp or two for the road.
Alcohol is toxic to dogs.
What Attracts Dogs To Alcohol?
Dogs, much like humans, have sweet-tooths, and wines and beers have sweet components to them.
So they would be attracted to it not knowing there is alcohol in it.
And let us not forget, dogs would try anything; they lick, eat and smell almost everything they are offered unless they have had a prior bad experience with it.
They should not be encouraged to lick dregs or drops left behind after human consumption.
Why Dogs Run Away From Alcohol?
Alcohol can be pungent, and dogs with their sensitive noses can smell it more intensely than we do. And sometimes it can be too pungent for us.
They tend to run away or avoid alcohol because of this.
Although some attribute it to self-preservation, as some alcoholic beverages have ingredients poisonous to dogs.
What Is Toxic To Dogs?
1. Dogs are deathly allergic to grapes, raisins, and yeast — Two of these are the main ingredients for wine and beer.
Little is known about the exact substance in a grape that is toxic to dogs, but even the smallest portion given to small dogs can be lethal.
All dogs should be kept away from this fruit and the wine.
2. Yeast on its own and in beer can cause serious complications in dogs, bloating and intoxication from the break down of yeast to alcohol.
Alcohol in the system can cause diarrhea, respiratory complications, and death.
Is Alcohol Bad for Dogs?
Is alcohol bad for dogs? The answer is YES.
Alcohol can be toxic to a dog’s system, and although many people think it would be funny to get their pooch drunk, doing so could actually result in serious health consequences or even death for your furry friend.
In some cases, you may also see some dogs getting curious about beer. It may cause you to wonder why do dogs like beer? The reasons are probably similar to why people may enjoy the fizziness of a cold beer or lager on a hot day.
The alcohol itself does not smell particularly enticing, but when combined with all that carbonation in an average 12-ounce can, the scent becomes more appealing.
Some dogs may even be attracted to the hops in some beers—but there is nothing funny about what this could do to your dog’s health.
While the occasional alcoholic beverage is unlikely to cause serious damage, do not make a habit of offering your dog sips of beer or cocktails.
Alcohol can rapidly make a dog very sick, and it is possible for them to die from alcohol poisoning.
You may also wonder as well, “why does my dog like wine?” The reasons are probably similar to why people may enjoy a glass of wine with a nice meal.
The alcohol itself does not smell particularly enticing, but when combined with all that fruit flavor in a typical 5-ounce glass, the scent becomes more appealing to some dogs.
And again, if your dog is able to knock back an entire glass of merlot without you knowing it, his or her health could be at risk.
So, is alcohol bad for dogs? Beer and wine pose less of a threat than hard liquor because they contain less alcohol by volume. However, it is important to note internal organs will suffer from any type of alcoholic ingestion so it’s best never to let your dog have any.
The Effects of Alcohol on Dogs
Along with an allergy to the components of beer and wine, dogs are not built physiologically to digest alcohol as humans can.
We may have a higher tolerance level and can shake off the effects of alcohol in a few hours.
Dogs have zero tolerance and will react like they have been poisoned because they have.
Their kidneys, which are supposed to be able to filter poisons out cannot do so with alcohol.
Consumption can lead to uncontrollable bowel release for urination and defecation, liver failure, coma, hypothermia, and death.
Symptoms of Alcohol Toxicity
- Excessive panting
- Muscle Tremors
What To Do If Your Dog Ingest Alcohol?
The problem with alcohol for dogs, along with what drink it was is what amount was consumed.
The lethal dose is popularly known to be between 5.5 to 7.9g/kg of 100% ethanol. 1 ml of ethanol is 0.789g.
You should contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog consumes alcohol, they will determine what the next steps will be or if the dose is lethal.
If you are not sure they did consume alcohol, but suspect, you could watch for these symptoms and contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
How To Prevent Your Dog From Consuming Alcohol?
1. Sweet drinks attract your dog, so it is best to keep these alcohol-based drinks away from your dog’s curiosity.
Ciders, punches, cocktails, fruit-based drinks, and alcohol-containing foods.
2. Store all forms of alcohol away from the reach of your dog.
3. Do not leave any drinks unattended with a dog in the vicinity.
If you are done drinking, it is better to toss whatever is left, or keep it away before leaving or retiring for the night.
4. Let your guests know that dogs are deathly allergic to alcohol and ask them not to jokingly give them a drink or tease them into having one.
5. Lock your dog up if you have guests over to minimize any accidental feeding of alcohol.
6. Clean up alcohol spills immediately after or secure your dog away from it if you choose to attend to it later.
Other items in the house may contain alcohol like sugar-free gum – which has Xylitol, an artificial sweetener.
It is dangerous for dogs to consume this along with:
- Mouth wash
- Baby wipes
- Cough or cold medication
- Raw bread dough
- Hand sanitizer
- Nail polish remover
- Rubbing alcohol
- Aftershave products
- Rotten fruit
- Skin toners and much more.
Remember, no matter how curious your pooch is, he is not allowed to have even a drop of your tipple.
If your dog consumes anything unusual confirm there is no alcohol in its content.