Mold exposure is sometimes difficult to contain when it comes to the exposure and your dog’s safety.
When it comes to mold, it can be difficult to keep it away from dogs.
This is because mold can be found on all types of surfaces especially surfaces that are damp or places with decaying material.
This means that your dog can be easily exposed to mold unless you as a dog owner are careful of their surroundings.
An example of this would be to prevent your dog from going next to a damp wall in your compound with a moldy surface.
In the case that your dog gets exposed to mold, there are a few remedies for your dog before they start acting up. It is good to note that they may get inflamed skin. The treatments discussed are to be used once the irritation starts showing.
This is because that will guide you on what to do.
The first thing is to wash your dog in its shampoo to remove the mold on their skin. The other thing is to get it treated by either attending a session of inflammation therapy or taking your dog to get injections of the allergen in the body in an increasing dosage to help fight the current allergen.
Below is everything you need to know about mold exposure when it comes to dogs including dogs with allergies as well.
Where is mold found?
Mold grows technically everywhere.
The only requirement that mold requires to grow is a surface to grow from, preferably decayed organic matter or a damp surface.
Mold requires a place with enough humidity and dampness for them to grow.
This means that mold can be found in any convenient place; from a windowpane to a bathroom.
Are dogs allergic to mold?
Mold is one of the non-food allergens found in the air that affect dogs.
In dogs, such allergies are usually noticed when your dog is younger but it is not uncommon to have some diagnoses done in adulthood.
If your dog is allergic and irritable to mold, there are high chances that your dog is also allergic to other non-food allergens found in the air.
In the case where you think your dog has developed a non-food allergy, you should go see a vet in case of anything serious.
This is also important to pinpoint the exact allergen that is irritating your dog’s system.
How do you treat mold exposure in dogs?
There are three main ways of treating mold exposure in dogs with allergies especially to mold and other non-food allergens.
They are briefly discussed below:
1. Bathing your dog
This is important to get the mold out of your dog’s fur thus reducing the inflammation on their skin.
Inflammation is one of the symptoms of mold exposure on your dog.
This means that when bathing your dog, make sure the shampoo is hypoallergenic to not irritate the skin any further during their bath.
2. Taking your dog for inflammation therapy
This is an important thing to do to get them treated for the specific allergy they may be having.
Here they get to be informed and talked through the possible allergens and how to reduce the exposure.
They also get medication for their dog’s allergies.
Dogs get some creams for applying on the skin to reduce the redness.
They also get omega 3 pills which help boost the medicine given to your dog.
3. Hypo sensitization
This is when your dog gets allergen syringes with an increasing dosage each time to help the body build up resistance against allergens.
Do not worry about it because the dosages are usually really small and your furry friend can handle it.
The increment is also precise and goes hand in hand with what your dog can handle.
Signs of mold exposure on your dog?
When dogs get exposed to mold spores which can be everywhere, they usually cause a serious physical reaction in dogs with serious allergies to mold.
Some of the signs can be extreme in some cases so it is important to alert your vet in the case where you think that your dog has been exposed.
Unlike humans, non-food allergens in dogs show themselves through the skin.
Here are some of the signs to look out for in case of mold exposure:
- Loss of hair
- Shaking ears and head for no reason
- Ear infections
- Redness and itchiness of the skin.
- Thickened skin producing any kind of odor
Which dog breeds are more prone to getting mold exposure?
When it comes to dogs, there are always those that are more prone to some conditions than others.
Here are some of the breed that is more prone than others:
- Miniature Schnauzers
- Golden retrievers
- West highland terriers
- Scottish terriers
- Irish setters
- German shepherds
How do you prevent getting your dog from inhaling mold?
As much as mold spores can be found everywhere, there are some measures you could take to prevent your dog from getting mold exposure.
If not prevented, at least reducing the exposure of the mold spores to your dog.
Here are some of the things you could do to reduce the chances of inhaling mold spores:
1. Avoid letting your dog go to rooms that are prone to having mold spores and ensure to keep them locked.
These are rooms such as basements ad attics that may have spores due to the few times the rooms are cleaned and dusted.
The humidity levels in those rooms are over the roof meaning they are suitable places for mold.
2. Installation of dehumidifiers in rooms that are regularly used and are prone to the growth of mold.
These are rooms that retain the dampness and humidity levels that the mold requires to grow.
These are rooms such as bathrooms and laundry rooms that have suitable conditions for the growth of mold.
3. The other thing would be to get cleaning products that remove mold from surfaces while cleaning.
This helps clean away mold spores that are very difficult to see.
The above explains how to identify cases of mold exposure to your dogs.
For any clarifications on the allergies or whether your dog has one, it is best to contact a vet for a checkup and not result in diagnosing your dog with allergies that may not exist.