Is Jasmine Poisonous to Dogs?

Is Jasmine Poisonous to Dogs

Here is the scenario, you are a long-time dog owner but have now taken an interest in taking care of plants, but you want to be sure which flowers are safe to have around dogs.

Or perhaps, you want to be sure which areas in the park your dog can comfortably play in without the possibility of poisoning.

We are here to help.

 

Jasmine is one of the most attractive flowers out there. Its subtle inflorescence makes it perfect to have in gardens or inside the house on a vase. However, will their presence be any toxic to dogs who might have accidentally ingested them?

Let us find out in the following narratives.

 

Provided that either one of the scenarios above is satisfied, then you might want to jump ahead to the final point in our discussion.

But for people who wish to pre-emptively identify plants that are safe or not for their dogs, it would be best to understand what Jasmine plants are first.

 

What are Jasmine Plants?

Jasmine plants, or more scientifically referred to as Jasminum sp., is a group of aromatic flowers that amounts to 200 species under its genus.

These plants, which are either shrubs or vines, are native to tropical areas and available in some world’s temperate countries.

Given their beautiful phenotypes, they are intendedly grown as ornamentals.

Many believe that the enchanting fragrance of jasmine provides therapeutic and stress-relieving properties to those who own it.

 

Here are other benefits of Jasmine plants to people:

  • Jasmine oil is excellent for the skin, thanks to its ketone content.
  • Neutralizes and purifies the air.
  • It can act as a natural hair conditioner.
  • It has antiseptic and antispasmodic properties.
  • Aids in diabetes, menstrual pain, and weight loss.
  • Promotes better sleep.

 

Although the above are indeed incredibly beneficial to people that own and cultivate Jasmine plants, how about dogs?

Should I be worried about having Jasmine plants around my dogs?

 

Are Jasmine Plants Poisonous to Dogs?

The simple answer is no. But continue reading because there will be additional important information relevant to answer this question.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, jasmine plants are not toxic to dogs, including cats and horses, for that matter.

Ingesting Jasmine plants for dogs will not cause any signs indicating toxicity or poisoning.

They do note, however, that it still be a cause for some gastrointestinal symptoms.

 

Some of the symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea

 

These events may occur because Jasmine is not particularly part of their diets.

Thus, producing some upsets in their stomach. Nevertheless, nothing to worry about as these are non life-threatening.

 

 

Okay, so we have established that Jasmines are not dangerous to dogs.

But there is something people need to note regarding the name “Jasmine.”

 

 

 

Learn More:

 

 

The Problem with the Name “Jasmine.”

dog surrounded with jasmine flower

Provided that Jasmine plants are not toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.

But the problem lies not with the plant but with the name Jasmine.

The non-toxic Jasmine plants hail from the Jasminum genus.

 

However, there are also other plants similarly named Jasmine as well.

Which do not fall under the Jasminum genus category and are highly toxic to animals.

Three pseudo-Jasmines are identified to be highly toxic to dogs and even children.

They are The Carolina Jasmine, Night-blooming/Day-blooming Jasmine, and Cape Jasmine.

Although named as such, they do not belong to the dog-friendly Jasminum genus.

 

These are considered the toxic kinds of Jasmine, and we will discuss them below:

 

1. Carolina Jasmine

Bearing the scientific name Gelsemium sempervirens, the toxic gelsemium alkaloid is indicated right off the bat in its name.

They are most prevalent in Central America and the Caribbean, while they grow well in Southeast America.

Technically, these plants are referred to as Carolina Jessamine.

However, with the many words of mouth transfers of information occurring, Jessamine is sometimes pronounced as Jasmine, and the rest was history.

 

These are highly toxic to dogs because of the gelsemium alkaloid present within its body.

Children were reported to have been poisoned upon sucking their nectars, and dogs are prone to the same risks as well.

Its effects on the body include muscle weakness/numbness and paralysis during its initial onset, followed by seizures, dyspnea or trouble breathing, even death in extreme situations.

 

2. Night/Day-blooming Jasmines

These are known as Cestrum nocturnum (night-blooming) or Cestrum diurnum (day-blooming), depending on their inflorescence time.

Apart from their attractive appearances, what makes them more tempting is their sweet and palpable fragrance that can truly capture people’s and animal’s attention.

 

Whether it is the berry or the sap, the plant contains its toxic properties all over its body and begins taking effect once ingested.

The most typical poisoning symptom is severe discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract.

It may also impact the central nervous system needs, but that is still up for debate.

 

It contains the same alkaloid as the ones in nightshade and blueberries, possibly solanine, which makes them toxic for dogs.

They cause abnormal calcium and phosphate deposits in the body.

Moreover, problems in thyroid and parathyroid glands can be encountered, responsible for metabolism and calcium levels, respectively.

 

3. Cape Jasmine

Has the scientific name of Gardenia jasminoides. They contain toxic entities in their foliage, flowers, or fruits that are dangerous when ingested by dogs or humans. Ingestion may cause weakness, diarrhea, nausea, or in extreme cases, tremors, seizures, and coma.

 

Key Takeaway

Generally, jasmine is non-toxic.

But if your dog ingested any of the above and has showcased symptoms or discomfort.

Make sure to remove all leaves remaining in their mouths and rinse them with water.

 

Moreover, you may manually induce vomiting to ensure the elimination of the toxic plant materials from their system.

It would be best to bring them immediately to veterinarians to give them the proper medical attention they need.

Keep them comfortable on your way to the vet to not startle them and possibly stress them even more.

 

See Also

Russel

Russel

A pet owner who loves to share useful facts and information about animals. For now, I write mostly about dogs and cats.