Are Begonias Poisonous To Dogs? (What Happens When Dogs Eats a Begonia)

Are Begonias Poisonous To Dogs?

Begonias are flowering perennial plants that can grow up to 2 feet tall.


They come in many different colors, including pink, red, white, and purple.


These flowers are found not only outdoors but also indoors as houseplants.


There is one thing you should know about these plants, though: they may be poisonous to dogs!


However, even with all their colorful appeal, these plants can be dangerous to your pets. Dogs are especially very susceptible to this.

Begonias are very toxic to dogs and cause a lot of harm to your furry friend! It is therefore strongly recommended that we keep our dogs as far away from begonias as is possible. 


So how can a flower so beautiful and pleasing to the eye be considered poisonous?

This is because begonias have several toxic compounds.

These compounds, such as Calcium Oxalate, constitute the toxicity of the begonia plant or flower.


Read on to find out a bit more about the poisonous compounds that make this plant a potential death trap for your dog!


What are Some of The Toxic Compounds Found in Begonias?

begonia for dogs

As we have already mentioned, the poisonous nature of begonias stems from the fact that the plant has several toxic compounds to your dog.


These compounds often exist in the form of tiny insoluble crystals.


They can be found in the sap of the begonia plant, and therefore, just a bite of this “lovely” plant will have your dog screaming for dear life!


So what are some of these compounds that we call dog killers? They include:

  • Calcium Oxalate
  • Cucurbitacin B
  • Idioblasts 


What Are The Effects Of These Poisonous Chemicals On Your Dog?

Now to the crux of the matter! The toxic chemicals found in a begonia plant are what make it poisonous.

Different chemical elements will result in other effects on your dog.

However, the bottom line is that these effects are all harmful.


They can have your dog feeling high levels of discomfort for a long time. In more extreme cases, your dog may even die.

So let us highlight some of the effects that begonia plants’ toxic chemicals can have on your favorite companion.


Calcium Oxalate

is responsible for causing a very uncomfortable burning sensation.

When your dog takes a bite at the begonia plant, they will experience a very distressing burning sensation in their mouths, lips, tongue, and even throat.


It can also cause choking and drooling. In addition, this chemical can cause swelling of the throat, making your dog unable to chew and even swallow food.

If your dog cannot chew and swallow food comfortably, then its health will take a massive hit and deteriorate.



Learn More:

Why do Dogs Air Swim



Cucurbitacin B

is another element that can harm your dog. This element has been found to cause drooling and “heavy” vomiting in your dog.

It has also been established to cause your dog’s digestive tract to swell while also pushing your dog to experience severe diarrhea.


In addition, as we know, severe diarrhea will have your dog looking frail and a shell of itself in only a matter of days.

This chemical will also give your dog an unpleasant and bitter taste in their mouths.



hold a whole lot of harmful chemicals that will equally have many ill effects on your dog.

The toxic chemicals such as raphides are released into your dog’s lips, tongue, saliva, and throat when it chews on a begonia plant.


These raphides exist contain calcium oxalate crystals that are “coated” with free oxalic acid.

These crystals will pierce your dog’s tongue, lips, throat, and even digestive tract and cause unimaginable discomfort.


In addition, your dog is bound to experience a severe stomach upset because of the ingestion of this chemical.



What To Do When Your Dog Has “Feasted” on a Begonia Plant?

dog chewed on a flower

Your dog ingesting a begonia plant presents a tricky situation. However, you do not have to lose hope.

There are some actions you can take when this situation presents itself.


These practices will assist you in saving the life of your dog-or at least improve the chances of doing so!

So what are some of these practices you can try out?


They include:

  • If your dog is showing symptoms of begonia poisoning, rinse their mouths quickly with a lot of water. Make sure that you have “flushed out” everything that they have on their mouths.
  • A great way of cooling down the irritation they feel is by giving them cheese, fresh milk, or yogurt. These are known to contain calcium that is essential in precipitating Calcium Oxalate crystals. This is what will reduce the irritation.
  • If the situation at hand seems out of hand, you are encouraged to seek the assistance of a vet. An example of such a situation is when your dog is experiencing extreme diarrhea and vomiting.


Preventive Measures You Can Take to Reduce the Risk of Begonia Poisoning

To best minimize the chances of begonia poisoning, we can take some “proactive” measures.

These will enhance the safety and well-being of your dog.


Here are some of them:

1. You can place “barriers” and restrictions such as a fence to prevent the area where begonia plants can be found.

For example, you can fence your garden that has begonia plants to keep your dog away.


2. When placed indoors, the begonia plants should be placed in rooms where your dog will be unable to gain easy access.


3. Last but not least, you can avoid having begonia plants in your home altogether! This is the surest way of preventing begonia poisoning.



Final Thoughts

As we have effectively established, begonia plants are highly poisonous to dogs.


It is essential to heed the tips that we have shared above to reduce the chances that they will suffer from begonia poisoning.


If you cannot fully apply the preventive measures we have highlighted, then desist from ever owning this plant if you love your dog!


See Also


A pet owner who loves to share useful facts and information about a variety of animals.