Vicks VapoRub is a popular decongestant and pain-relieving ointment.
It was first marketed in the early 1900s by Lunsford Richardson, who realized how well it could be used to treat virtually any ailment, including colds and chest pains.
Unfortunately, he died before his product became popular but since then it has become an essential part of many households around the world.
Can you put Vicks VapoRub on a dog?
If you’ve been searching the internet for “can you put Vicks VapoRub on dogs” and are unsure about what to do, here’s some good news: the answer is no.
Even if you’re not sure why that answer is no, it should be enough to convince you to never ever put Vicks Vaporub anywhere near your dog.
Vicks is designed for human use only, so even if your dog happens not to be an immediate threat but will probably turn out to be one later on in life (like an old person), it’s still best not to risk it.
The main ingredient in Vicks Vaporub is camphor oil, which may cause seizures if ingested by dogs (and possibly humans).
In addition, there’s also menthol and eucalyptus oil in there—both of which have been known to irritate mucous membranes and lungs when inhaled or applied topically.
It’s true that many people think putting Vicks on their cat or dog will help them breathe better when they have a cold; however, these same people generally find out later that their beloved pet actually hates this treatment and would rather just have some space away from their owner while they recover!
What does Vicks VapoRub do?
Vicks VapoRub is a topical ointment that is used to treat coughs and colds.
It works by reducing congestion in the chest and throat, which can help you breathe easier.
If you have excessive mucus or phlegm buildup, Vicks may be able to help clear it out of your system.
In addition to reducing congestion, Vicks can also be effective at relieving a sore throat (such as from coughing).
Is Vicks VapoRub dangerous on a dog?
Vicks VapoRub is a popular over-the-counter remedy for colds and other respiratory ailments.
However, it’s not safe for dogs to ingest, and if they do so they may suffer serious side effects including liver damage, kidney failure, and even death.
If you have a pup who’s taken a liking to this greasy ointment (and you don’t want them eating anymore), we recommend that you speak with your vet as soon as possible.
What happens when you inhale Vicks VapoRub?
Vicks vaporub is not toxic. It’s not poison. It does not kill, harm, or cause injury to dogs who inhale it.
Vicks VapoRub is not dangerous to your dog and will not cause him any harm if he ingests some of the vapors directly from you.
There you have it, folks! There is no need to worry about your dog’s health if they are exposed to Vicks VapoRub.
However, it is always best to consult a veterinarian with any questions or concerns when it comes to your pet.
If you think your dog has eaten too much of the product and is having adverse side effects like dizziness or vomiting, contact an emergency animal hospital immediately.