What Would Happen if a Dog Eats Neosporin?

What Would Happen if a Dog Eats Neosporin

To keep your dog safe, it’s important to know what you can and cannot feed them.

 

This includes everything from food to medicine.

 

Neosporin is a common medication that can help heal cuts and burns.

 

It can also cause side effects in dogs if they ingest too much of it.

 

So, what would happen if your dog ate Neosporin?

 

Will Neosporin hurt a dog if ingested? 

Neosporin is a topical antibiotic ointment used to treat cuts and scrapes.

 

While it’s safe for humans, it can be lethal to dogs if ingested.

 

The active ingredient in Neosporin is bacitracin zinc, which is a topical antibiotic found in many over-the-counter medications including Polysporin and Bactine.

 

When absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin or mucous membranes, bacitracin binds with bacteria cells and stops them from reproducing.

 

Neosporin is usually applied directly on the skin or mucous membranes of the affected area, but if your dog gets into any Neosporin that hasn’t been fully absorbed by your body yet (such as when you are applying some to an open wound), he could ingest some of this medication accidentally by licking his paws after walking across a bit of spilled medicine on your bathroom floor or kitchen countertop.

 

What would happen if a dog licked Neosporin?

neosporin for dogs

 

If a dog licks Neosporin from its skin, there’s no need to worry. It won’t cause any harm.

 

However, if the Neosporin gets into the eyes or mouth of your dog, then you should contact your veterinarian because it might be harmful to their health.

 

Neosporin is safe for dogs if ingested or coming into contact with their skin.

 

In fact, many people use it on cuts and scrapes in order to speed up healing time!

 

If your dog has a cut or scratch on himself, feel free to put some Neosporin on it as long as he doesn’t lick it off right away (which could make him sick).

 

 

Learn More:

 

 

Causes of Neosporin poisoning of dogs?

Neosporin poisoning can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures.

 

If your dog eats Neosporin and has symptoms of acute kidney failure like increased thirst or urination, it may be a good idea to call your vet immediately.

 

If your dog ingests enough Neosporin it could cause liver failure or anemia.

 

When should you call a vet?

If you think your dog has ingested Neosporin, or if you’re not sure if he or she has ingested it, call your vet.

 

The reason for this is that symptoms can appear within a few hours to several days of ingestion. The sooner you seek professional help for your pet, the better.

 

It’s also important to note that there are different kinds of Neosporin and other topical antibiotic creams out there: some contain ingredients such as hydrocortisone and benzocaine which is a numbing agent.

 

Your vet will know which medicines are safe for dogs and which ones aren’t.

 

Conclusion

As we have discussed, Neosporin is an over-the-counter topical medication that can be used for a variety of minor skin infections in humans.

 

It should never be given to dogs because it is not FDA-approved for veterinary use and can cause serious side effects like vomiting or stomach ulcers.

 

The best thing you can do if your dog accidentally eats Neosporin is to take them to the vet immediately so they can get treated as soon as possible before any more damage is done.

 

See Also

Russel

A pet owner who loves to share useful facts and information about animals. For now, I write mostly about dogs and cats.