There is a common misconception that whatever food we can eat, our dogs can eat as well.
Well, that is just wrong. Not every food that we eat we can feed to your dogs.
Fruits, for example. Some fruits are good for dogs, while some are not.
One of the most common groups of fruits that we sometimes mistakenly feed our dogs are currants, particularly blackcurrants.
Can I Give My Dog Blackcurrants?
Blackcurrants are a common ingredient in many baked products, trail mixes, salads, and more, either fresh or dried.
Currants, of any color, are great for us, but bad for dogs.
So, you cannot feed your dog blackcurrants.
Currants can be highly toxic to your dog, as well as other animals.
Even with just a small amount consumed, your dog runs the risk of suffering from currant poisoning.
The primary risk is acute renal failure.
The leading cause of currant poisoning is primarily due to the direct intake of the fruit.
There is still no reliable identification as to which agent causes the poisoning as of this time, but there are two possibilities:
- It can be due to the salicylate content of the fruit
- It can be because of a mycotoxin in the fruit
What are the Symptoms of Current Poisoning?
If your dog ingested something and they show the following signs, then they might have currant poisoning.
You need to bring them over to your vet for an evaluation. Some currant poisoning symptoms include:
- Lack of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Renal failure
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Urinary tract issues
What If My Dog has Currant Poisoning?
Because of how serious the effects of currant poisoning can be, you need to be vigilant and bring your dog to your vet as soon as possible.
Your vet will then administer the appropriate treatment method.
Some of these methods include:
1. Induced vomiting — If you manage to bring your dog to the vet on time, and there are no seizures or other complications, the vet will induce vomiting.
After induced vomiting, your vet may also give your dog some activated charcoal at specific time intervals.
2. Fluid therapy — If your dog has diarrhea or renal failure, your vet may administer an IV drip to replenish the lost electrolytes.
The strength of treatment will depend on the extent of the toxicity and damage.
3. Hospitalization — If the effect of toxicity is too adverse on your dog’s health, your vet may advise you to admit your dog for more care.
There may be a need for a diuresis or a catheter in case of kidney and renal failure.
You must understand that currants can be extremely harmful to your dog.
The same goes for grapes, raisins, and the ever-favorite sweet snacks as well.
Remember that your dogs are not as highly adaptive as us when it comes to food.
Something suitable for us may end up fatal for our beloved pet.
So, be vigilant of what your dog eats.
If you notice any abnormality in their behavior and health after consuming something, then you need to consult your vet immediately.