Many of the digestive plants in the wild are good to feed with our dogs.
But what about those mysterious ones like Candytuft?
Is Candytuft poisonous to dogs? Let us find out!
All About Candytuft and Its Threat to Dogs
The Candytuft is part of the Brassicaceae (Iberis) family.
It consists of annuals, evergreen perennials, and subshrubs native to the Old World.
The ground-hugging annual flower, also used as a path edging, is a late blossom that brightens the gardens in April or May.
Because the petals have a beautiful pattern, some people grow them in their gardens.
This makes plants easily accessible to dogs.
Is Candytuft Toxic to My Dog?
The plant does not immediately have bad effects on your dog.
The effects are generally mild.
But if your pet consumes so much of this plant, it may cause heart complications such as heart arrhythmia, renal issues, inflammation of the liver, or even death.
How to Tell If My Dog Experiences Candytuft Toxicity?
Candytuft toxicity effects vary according to the degree of intake, the level of the dog’s immune system, and more.
Four of the most prominent signs are the following:
- Ache and swelling in the stomach
- Appetite deficit
- Difficulty with urination
- External bleeding
- Light to serious dehydration
- Low heart rate
- Sudden Shortfall
- Urinal blood
- Yellowness in skin and eyes
How Can You Handle Your Dog If It Eats the Candytuft Plant?
First and foremost, consult with your nearest veterinarian if you believe that your pet is consuming this unpleasant plant.
Where necessary, the doctor can induce surgical vomiting of your dog by using a coal wash, just like other types of plant poisoning.
Through this procedure, the pet will extract all the residual contaminants from the digestive tract and the stomach.
The activated carbon dioxide eliminates the poison such that it does not further harm your dog’s system.
IV Fluid therapy occurs whether the dog vomits or develops diarrhea for multiple hours or overnight, depending on the nature of the signs.
What Is the Method of Recovery?
The speed of recovery of your dog depends on the amount consumed.
And if your dog displays no noticeable signs of eating Candytuft bulbs, observe when your dog searches for wild plants to consume from your front yard, surrounding park, or with increasing plants.
This usually shows that they ate something that upset their stomach.
When you see your dog doing this, immediately schedule a check-up with the vet.
This is to ensure that your dog only has a temporary upset stomach and nothing more serious.
The vet can also alleviate the early mild symptoms before they escalate.
Any part of the Candytuft plant, particularly the bulb, is poisonous and can cause moderate to serious heart, liver, and kidney problems to your dog.
Any time you are out to exercise, be careful and make sure your dog does not consume this plant, as well as other similar plants like the crocosmia.