Cats have an innate tendency to be playful toward their owners and other pets.
Their behaviors are unpredictable that one action or meow could mean a lot of different things.
But why do they suddenly start hugging their pet owner’s leg? We will learn about it in this article.
The Explanation Behind
Do not fret when you pace around the room then your cat suddenly hugs your leg.
It is its way of telling you that:
- It is their sign of affection. Hugging your leg is just one of the signs that your cat likes you.
- It is looking for protection, especially when something scares it.
- Your pet is hungry. Give it something to chew or water if it is thirsty. Cats behave in unusual ways if they do not get what they need.
- It is not a surprise that cats love to get and give you warm hugs.
- It misses you when you are not around for a long while.
- Their abrupt hugs might seem like sneak attacks, too. They could be playing and simultaneously honing their hunting and survival skills.
- It wants you to pick it up and pet it.
- Their sneak attacks are invitations to play with you.
- It is curious about what keeps you busy.
Do I Need To Worry About it?
No. It is no problem at all as long as there are no claws and biting.
It is a harmless expression of friendliness and playfulness.
However, once your cat starts biting and nibbling on you, stop your cat. Otherwise, it becomes a habit.
Here is What You Need to Do
Now, you understand the possible reasons behind its actions.
Start observing its motives.
It probably will not cost you to give your pet what it needs.
Remember the following tips:
- Be gentle when you walk. You cannot risk your cat getting injured if it falls.
- Do not worry when it is just a harmless hug. It is not vicious.
- Do not shake your leg in trying to get rid of your pet. You might trip.
- Slowly untangle its legs from you.
- If playing was its motive, give them alternative toys like feathers, strings, scratchers, and balls.
- If it wants you to hold it, then do so. Listen to your feline friend when it is communicating.
Note, however, that there are dangers in letting your cat get too close to you.
Some diseases can be transmitted from cats to humans if they are not aware and careful enough, like:
- Keep your cats groomed.
- Practice cat hygiene.
- Regularly clean its food bowls.
- Pay regular visits to the vet.
- Observe prevention measures to avoid these diseases.
Cats are not always predictable.
They communicate in various ways, like hugging their owner’s legs.
It usually is a sign of playful affection or a display of their need for protection.
Either way, the best pet parents listen to their felines and understand what they are trying to communicate.