Can Molds Cause Seizures in Dogs?

Can Molds Cause Seizures in Dogs?
3 minutes to read

Molds are everywhere. Sometimes we notice them, most of the time, we ignore them. That is because most molds appear unthreatening. However, molds have harmful side effects on us. Molds may contain mycotoxins that can negatively impact our health.

However, the question is, if molds can affect us, can they affect our dogs as well. The answer is a big yes.

 

Are Molds Bad for Dogs?

mold under microscope view
Mold under microscope view

Molds also affect our dogs. Our dogs often suffer from mold spore exposure regularly. However, we sometimes just do not notice it until something arises. Hence, we must protect our dogs by lessening their exposure to these spores.

 

If left unaddressed, your dog may suffer from adverse health problems. Some of these health issues include:

  • Respiratory diseases
  • Gastrointestinal tract and digestive problems
  • Allergies
  • Neurological issues like seizures and tremors

Although molds often only leave a short-term impact on dogs, there is still a risk for it to escalate to the long term. Pay attention to the signs in case of mold exposure.

 

What Symptoms Should You Observe?

Each dog may exhibit different symptoms when there is mold spores inhalation. However, here some signs you can observe are:

  • Rapid breathing or difficulty in breathing
  • Nasal discharge
  • Wheezing, cough, or sneezing
  • Bleeding in the nose or mouth
  • Lethargy

 

Learn More:

How Can Dogs be Tormentors to Cats

 

You may also observe the following in some cases:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Excessive scratching as a result of an allergic reaction
  • Changes in stool appearance

Some of the symptoms that you can observe may be because of other conditions. If you observe a combination of these symptoms, make sure to bring your dog to the vet for evaluation.

 

Which Places are Mold Havens?

Mold cleaning kit

Prevention trumps the cure, which is why you should do your best to prevent your post from inhaling any mold spores. You can start by cleaning all those places that are prone to molds. Here are some of those you need to check:

  1. Cluttered Areas. Messy and cluttered areas can have poor air circulation. The items can block the air from circulating, which may lead to a build-up of condensation, making the environment moist and prone to growing molds. So, keep your spaces clean and clutter-free
  2. Humid Places. Areas that are humid like the kitchen, laundry area, bathrooms, and the like have higher chances of growing mold. You can add ventilation fans in these areas to remove the damp air.
  3. Air Con Ducts. Air conditioning ducts are also prone to growing molds because of condensation. You must maintain them regularly and prevent molds from growing.
  4. Drip Pans. The drip pan of your refrigerator can also be a breeding ground for molds. Most of the time, these pans are unnoticed, so the standing water in them is an excellent growing area for molds.
  5. Leaky Pipes. Leaky pipes are also prone to molds. So, if you have a leaky pipe at home, you need to have it repaired or replaced.

 

What Should You Do?

Keep your house, especially the areas that your dog visits at home, clean. And if you leave your dog at home and leave them with their toys to entertain them. Just make sure to keep and watch them after.

Better yet, leave the TV or radio on instead. Toys can get damp fast because of how dogs chew on them, which may grow molds, especially if you are too busy to clean them and just dumps them in a bin.

 

Your dog cannot keep itself safe from inhaling mold spores. You need to keep your dog safe. Remember that exposure to molds may lead to seizures or even worse for your dog, so be vigilant and prevent this from happening. Start by keeping your home mold-free.

 

Banner
Stay informed! Through Your Inbox



See Also

 

 

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments