My Dog Ate Borax Ant Bait, Urgent Steps to Do

My Dog Ate Borax Ant Bait

No homeowner wants ants feasting over a box of cereals and marching around the kitchen tiles.


Ant killers are foolproof ways to get rid of these unwanted bugs.


However, incidents like pets getting their paws on ant baits are common.


If ignored, this might be a cause of serious concern.


Borax is a typical active ingredient in ant deterrents.


It is known as a substitute for harsh detergents, so pets should avoid contact with it.


But when your dog happens to ingest an ant bait made of Borax, we outlined useful measures to help you handle the situation.


The type of ant bait and the amount consumed determine the effect on dogs.


A small amount inhaled has no potential to cause damage.


However, consulting your vet is the best course of action.


In this article, you will come to terms with:

  1. What a borax ant bait is.
  2. How dangerous it could be for pets.
  3. Possible side effects your canine might experience from ingesting Borax.
  4. The urgent steps you can take when your dog ate borax ant bait.
  5. Some preventive measures you can take to avoid similar accidents.


What Is A Borax Ant Bait?

borax ant bait


Typical ant baits are a mixture of sugar, warm water, and two tablespoons of Borax.


Homeowners soak cotton in these mixtures and place them in ant-infested areas.


The ants absorb the sugar with Borax – the active ingredient that kills them.


Borax is a chemical also found in laundry detergents, toothpaste, and soaps.


Generally, it is not a cause of concern for pets and humans if inhaled in small amounts.


Ant baits made out of borax cause less harm to dogs.


What Urgent Steps to Take When My Dog Eats Borax Ant Bait?

In the first instance, it is natural for you to panic but calm down.


You are still in control of the situation.


You would want to avoid serious complications, so act immediately.


Here are some of the things you can do as first-aid if your dog wounds up in this situation.

  • Immediately take the ant bait away from your dog.
  • Inspect how much of the ant bait your dog ate. A high dose of Borax ingested might be lethal and alarming for pets. If your dog ingested large amounts of Borax, it might harm its kidneys.
  • Rinse some residue of the Borax in your pet’s fur, if any. Restrict your dog from any more movement or consumption.
  • Get a sample of the substance for your vet to examine.
  • Call the veterinarian or a pet hotline for immediate check-up and treatment.
  • Observe your pet for possible symptoms. Check if any of the following symptoms are present in your dog that the external aspects of ant traps might have triggered:
    • nausea
    • labored breathing
    • discomfort
    • vomiting
    • disorientation
    • convulsion
    • diarrhea
    • Ataxia
  • Let them check the dosage of ant bait your dog consumed. If your vet diagnosed your pet as poisoned, they would guide you on how to induce vomiting in your pet using either:

Salt Water. Be cautious and do not use too much saltwater as it might cause salt toxicosis in pets.

– Ipecac diluted with water in an equal ratio.

– 3% hydrogen peroxide through a syringe. A little side note: hydrogen peroxide is a typical ingredient used to induce vomiting; better avoid this if your dog inhaled too much Borax. To prevent the worse.

  • Do not induce your dog to vomit unless the vet tells you. Note that vets recommend not to induce vomiting in pets who are convulsing or unconscious. If your pet inhaled poison, chances are its kidneys or liver might be affected.
  • Follow your vet’s prescriptions. Omega-3 can help prevent inflammation of the kidneys. Although, a kidney problem is less likely if your dog only consumed a small amount.


The Plastic Casing of The Ant Bait Might Be the Culprit

The quantity of Borax in ant baits are typically tiny so that it would not imperil living animals.


Ant baits’ plastic housing can cause more damage to the substance inside.


If inhaled, this can cause severe problems in the pet’s digestive tract:

  • Incisions
  • Perforations
  • obstruction

Obstruction in the digestive tract can be lethal if not addressed immediately.


Examine your canine and watch out for signs that your pet suffers from blockage:

  • unable to defecate
  • irregular bowel changes
  • imminent pain
  • bloody stools



Learn More:

Is Palo Santo Toxic to Dogs



Some Measures You Can Follow To Prevent The Same Accident

kitchen cleaning


Although ants do not carry diseases, they might be a nuisance when they wound up in sugar containers or cereal boxes, unlike other pests.

Here are some no-brainer tips you can follow.


  1. Store your food, ingredients, or leftovers in airtight containers to keep the ants away.
  2. Thoroughly wipe and clean containers and kitchen counters—where ants typically infest to gather food.
  3. Use soap with active cleaning ingredients to eliminate the trails of ants and other pests.
  4. The next time you buy a bug killer, read the package carefully.
  5. Opt for pet-friendly ones. Better yet, choose organic or natural pest killers.
  6. It is best to keep them in designated storage where they are secured and out of reach.
  7. Here is a do-it-yourself ant killer that is safe for pets and the environment, too. You only need to mix 20 drops of liquid soap with water and place it in a spray bottle.
  8. Avoid ant-traps with Abamectin and Lambda-cyhalothrin as active ingredients therein.


The Bottom Line

The market offers various types of ant traps.


They vary as to the kind of active ingredient they contain.


Ant traps made of Borax are relatively safer than others when ingested in small amounts.


However, it can cause kidney problems in pets who have consumed too much Borax.


Call your vet or bring your pet to the clinic right away.


Observe your pet for symptoms that would indicate poisoning.


Some problems might also be due to the outer casing of ant baits.


Opt for pet-safe ant killers free from toxic ingredients, or you could also make a DIY ant killer with home ingredients.


Store them in safe places out of your pet’s reach.


See Also


A pet owner who loves to share useful facts and information about a variety of animals.