Why Do Dogs Like Antifreeze? + Causes When Ingested

Why Do Dogs Like Antifreeze

For dogs, antifreeze tastes good because it has a sweet and distinct taste that they can’t resist.

 

They usually get this from puddles in the ground or lick it off their feet every time they groom.

 

Antifreeze drips out of a car’s radiator, and this is very lethal for dogs when ingested.

 

Today, we will share with you more on antifreeze and what you can do if your dog accidentally ingests it.

 

What is in Antifreeze?

Antifreeze for dogs

 

Ethylene Glycol is one of the active ingredients of antifreeze.

 

It is usually found in liquid rust inhibitors that are generally incorporated in solar collectors, used in chemical manufacturing processes, and found in other household products.

 

It makes antifreeze a common hazard for your furry friend.

 

It is so lethal that all it takes is five tablespoons of antifreeze to leave fatal effects in the liver, kidneys, and brain of your medium-sized dog, or worse, take away his life.

 

If your dog accidentally ingests antifreeze, you have at least 3 to 8 hours to bring your dog to the vet before it is too late.

 

 

Learn More:

Is Crocosmia Poisonous to Dogs

 

 

What does antifreeze do to your dog?

Antifreeze is considered one of the “heavyweight poisons” in vet hospitals since it has the highest fatality rate of toxins ever seen in pets.

 

One of the things that makes antifreeze lethal is that it only takes a small amount to do such massive damage.

 

Here are some signs to tell that your dog is suffering from antifreeze poisoning:

 

  • The dog resembles drunkenness
  • Exhibiting euphoria or delirium
  • Walking in zigzags or being wobbly
  • Exhibiting uncoordinated movements
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive salivation
  • Dry heaving and excessive lip-smacking
  • Excessive urination
  • Diarrhea
  • Rapid heart rate or heartbeat
  • Weakness
  • Fainting
  • Tremors
  • Seizures

 

This phase may go on for as long as 6 hours, and your dog may appear better afterward, but in reality, he is not better at all!

 

If you do not take your dog to the vet immediately after the first few hours of exhibiting these symptoms, the poison might spread into various parts of his body and result in kidney failure, or worse, death.

 

How to treat your dog who ingested antifreeze?

dog being treated

 

For your dog to successfully recover, he must be administered treatment within the first 5 hours.

 

The vet can give an antidote to your dog, and if administered early, this can help stop the spread of antifreeze in your dog’s system and save his life.

 

The best thing you can do is to be extra careful when dealing with antifreeze.

 

It is nothing but a sweet treat for dogs, and believe it or not, not all people are aware that antifreeze is poisonous to pets.

 

If you think that your dog ingested antifreeze, and see it vomiting, just let it be.

 

It is the body’s way of trying to get rid of the poison in its system.

 

However, do not do anything to try and induce vomiting, as this can do your dog more harm than good.

 

Go to the vet immediately and let the vet make the appropriate tests and diagnosis before the situation gets any worse.

 

Do not try to search on the internet for any home remedies and take your dog straight to the vet.

 

Remember that every second counts in moments like this, and the amount of time you waste searching for a homemade remedy means life or death for your furry friend.

 

How can I prevent antifreeze poisoning?

Since your dog doesn’t know that antifreeze is poisonous and loves it for its sweet taste, it is up to you to ensure that your dog will not go near this substance. Here are things you can do to ensure your dog’s safety and welfare:

 

1. Inspect the radiator of your car regularly. It will help you ensure that your vehicle is in great shape.

 

It will also help you find out if there are leaks that need to be fixed immediately.

 

 

2. Always keep an eye on your dog. When walking your pet, make sure that they will remain where you can see them.

 

Most dogs wander around and gain traces of antifreeze on their paws, which they would, later on, lick or use to scratch themselves.

 

 

3. Please do not allow your dog to go to areas unattended where they may have access to antifreeze, such as in parking areas, driveways, and in your garage.

 

 

4. Properly dispose of used antifreeze containers — Please do not throw them in the trash after using them.

 

Instead, please put it in a separate plastic before mixing it with your regular garbage.

 

 

5. Close your antifreeze containers tightly to avoid any leaks. Also, please place it in a location that is not accessible to your dog.

 

You can try to put it inside drawers with locks or in high places that are unreachable by your furry friend.

 

 

6. If you accidentally spill an antifreeze, clean it immediately and do not leave your dog alone with it.

 

If you have to get a rug from another room, it would be best to take your dog with you instead of leaving it alone and risk having your dog lick the antifreeze off the floor.

 

Key Takeaway

Some events are out of our hands, but most unfortunate events can be prevented only if we take safety measures.

 

An example is when your dog suddenly ingests food that it should not. Once this happens, we can only react after the incident has occurred.

 

However, as pet owners, it is part of our jobs to ensure that our furry friends are safe, healthy, and are far from catching any diseases.

 

Always be a responsible owner and be aware of the things that might cause harm to your pet.

 

After all, you should consider your furry friend not just as an animal but as a part of your family.

 

See Also

Russel

Russel

A pet owner who loves to share useful facts and information about animals. For now, I write mostly about dogs and cats.