Is Gladiolus Poisonous to Dogs?

Is Gladiolus Poisonous to Dogs

Most edible plants out there in the wild are safe to eat for our pets.

 

But what about some obscure ones such as Gladiolus?

 

Let us dive right in to find out if the gladiolus plant is safe for our dogs or not.

 

What Happens If Your Dog Eats Gladiolus?

Pink gladiolus

 

While being a common perennial plant, if your dog eats any part of the Gladiolus, particularly the bulb, it can be quite dangerous.

 

Gladioli are usually withdrawn in winter from the earth to store bulbs in the US before subsequent autumn.

 

The following might happen if your dog ingests any part of the plant:

  • Your dos will suffer from the toxicity of the plant
  • It can induce a loss of oxygen and convulsions.
  • If your pet eats excessive amounts of this plant, it may trigger cardiac symptoms such as cardiac arrhythmia, kidney problems, liver inflammations, or even death.

 

The Gladioli are a part of the Iris family in the asparagus order, with “gladiolus communis” as its scientific name.

 

The dagger plant and the corn or sword lily are some notable names.

 

The plant’s bulb is one of its most toxic parts.

 

Over 250 gladiolus species are originating in South Africa, but in the US, they have been widespread for more than a century.

 

If your dog eats some gladiolus, symptoms are observable within several hours.

 

Gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea are some of the more frequent indicators, but they often contribute to dehydration, weakening the dog, and eventually killing it.

 

 

Learn More:

Is Citric Acid Toxic To Dogs

 

 

Dog Poisoning Symptoms of the Gladiolus Plant

Gladiolus toxicity effects differ due to the level of consumption, the dog’s immune system levels, and more.

 

Some common symptoms you may observe are:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Slight to extreme dehydration
  • Diarrhea
  • Sudden weakness
  • Internal bleeding
  • Arrhythmia
  • Low cardiac rate
  • Bulking/swelling in the belly
  • Urinary blood
  • Difficulty in urination
  • Yellowing of the eyes, arms, and legs

 

How to Treat Your Dog If It Consumed the Gladiolus Plant?

First and foremost, seek your local veterinarian if you suspect your pet of eating this poisonous plant.

 

If possible, the veterinarian shall cause medicinal vomiting for your dog using a coal lavage.

 

By this procedure, your pet will eliminate all the remaining toxins in the digestive tract and the stomach.

 

The charcoal solution absorbs toxic substances so that it does not further damage the system of your dog.

 

IV fluid treatment continues if the dog vomits or has irregular bowel movements, to follow over several hours or through the night.

 

What Is the Recovery Process?

The speed of recovery of your dog relies on the quantity eaten.

 

Even if the dog shows no significant signs of consuming increased amounts of Gladiolus bulbs, the dog will persist in looking for random plants to eat from your front yard, a nearby park, or somewhere with growing plants.

 

Consider ensuring that your dog will not eat anything that you do not know to prevent unforeseen poisoning.

 

Any parts of this plant, especially the bulb, are poisonous and will induce mild to severe heart, liver, and kidney problems.

 

Next time you will go for a walk, be vigilant, and ensure that your dog will not eat this plant and other toxic plants.

 

See Also

Russel

A pet owner who loves to share useful facts and information about animals. For now, I write mostly about dogs and cats.